Monday, September 2, 2013

Trip to Basil Owen's Farm

This weekend I travelled to Pleasant Hill, South Carolina to visit a friend-of-a-friend's farm with Helen (one of my classmates). We explored all of the different crops on Mr. Owen's farm, which includes the following: corn, soybeans, wheat, and my personal favorite, cotton.
I interviewed Mr. Owens with a series of questions based of a survey created by Cornell University called "Barriers to Beginning Farmer Success." Through the help of my interview, I was able to grasp the issues among crop farmers. I asked Mr. Owens to prioritize what kind of help is necessary for a beginner farmer, even though he himself has been farming for many years. I won't list all of my findings for my readers about what needs to be put into place to help beginner farmers- instead I would like to interest you with some pictures of Mr. Owen's farm, as well as a video of Helen and I in a combine!
*For all of you who don't know what a combine is: A power operated machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans grain. (Well, in this case, corn!) Also noteworthy- new combines can cost a farmer anywhere from $300,000- 400,000! 




No comments:

Post a Comment