Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"A Day in the Life of a Farmer" Event

This past Saturday Slow Food YCAC plus a few visited the Dirt Works Incubator Farm for my "Day in the life of a Farmer" event. I was so pleased with the turnout and the enthusiasm that everyone put into their participation. We primarily worked with Gina Perez on Fiddle Farms. We worked with a few other farmers that were working on their plots during the day as well.
My day started at 8:00 am. It was rather chilly and rainy outside, but I hopped out of my car with Grayson at the farm. Pretty soon there were a handful of us there, so we all helped Gina pull out some tools from the tool shed (pitchfork, etc.) Afterwards a few others arrived, we walked down to her plot with our tools in hand. We started by spreading out a pile of mulch compost on her plot. It was quite the work out... and surprisingly fun! We were in groups for the rest of the day, doing different tasks with different farmers. We changed groups after each task was finished. I did some seeding, weeding around the inside of a greenhouse, weeding of a couple of row crops, and wheelbarrow-ing of compost through out the day. I had so much fun and was so happy to see others having fun as well. At the end of the day we all took turns in Gina's car to have a tour around the Incubator Farm and Rosebanks Farms. Rosebanks Farms is the neighboring farm from which Lowcountry First leases its land.
We truly experienced what it is like to work on a farm. I have a better sense now of the daily struggles that farmers face. I also can finally wrap my mind around how farming is truly a 24/7 job- the work never ends!
Here is a picture of some of us who were involved-
Oh... and great news! I was offered an apprenticeship on the Dirt Works Incubator Farm for over the summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment